Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Ushuaia - Argentina

On March 24th I finally made it to Ushuaia, the southern most city in the world. It's 18,000 km from Alaska and only 1,000 km from Antarctica and the only place where the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans meet. The town itself is surrounded by surreal scenery with snow capped mountains descending into the Beagle Channel. Originally I came here hoping to catch a last minute boat to Antarctica but missed it by 4 days. No worries, I made the most of it can caught a boat into the channel to check out sea lion and penguin colonies, went trekking up to the glaciers and found an ice cave, and then hiked in the world famous "Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego".

I met four Canadian guys at the hostel who were going the same way and getting ready to do a five day camping trek in Torres del Paine, Chile so I decided to tag along (see blog),

No comments:

Post a Comment